The Dunes Club began with a group of leading Myrtle Beach citizens who had the idea to build a recreational facility that would, among other things, include a golf course. In 1948, the first Board of Directors was established and a charter was submitted to the state of South Carolina. By 1949, the original clubhouse was completed and the first 9 holes opened for play (what is today’s back nine).
This period was about growth for the Dunes Club. The clubhouse was renovated and expanded more than once to include air conditioning along with the lounge and dining rooms. A swimming pool and locker rooms were also built, and tennis became a major part of the club with the original four tennis courts being constructed.
During this time, the Dunes saw major renovations when a “demolition party” was held and the members helped tear down the old clubhouse. In its place, a new clubhouse was completed with an updated Pro Shop, Locker Rooms and Mixed Grill. In the 90s, the tennis center added four more tennis courts and renovated their Pro Shop and the golf course also saw significant renovations. The greens were replaced with Penn Links Bentgrass, contours of 6 holes were modified, the 11th green was relocated and a new tee box for hole #8 was built.
By this time, the Dunes Club had established itself as a Top 100 Golf Course with a worldwide reputation as the premier semi-private club on the Grand Strand. A $6 million renovation project was completed in 2001, which added an additional restaurant, new locker rooms, and a more expansive banquet facility. Over the coming years, the pool facility was renovated to add an upper viewing deck to the ocean, the tennis center built an additional clay court and renovated the Pro Shop and the golf course saw significant improvements again as well. These included improvements to the bunker and drainage system, a new alternate hole, a greens conversion to Ultradwarf Champion Bermuda, enlargement to the practice tee and range, a new chipping green and practice bunker, and the addition of over 250 yards added to the championship tees. The Golf Shop saw a complete renovation in 2018 with a fresh modern design and the addition of new merchandise and high-end luxury brands.